Search This Blog

Tuesday 26 April 2011

Spending Time With The Bard



fellow grammar school boy
 and playwright - similar hairline
After a good blast at the script over a couple of weeks, I took a break last week to work on the other looming academic assignment - my essay on Shakespeare's Roman plays. Which brings me back to something I have commented on before but which has to be said again. Bloody hell, the boy Shakespeare was good. No wonder some sceptics struggle to believe this grammar school boy could have written all those plays. Well we grammar school boys do like to lug spanners into works whenever we can. Bloody marvellous. The context in which I previously mentioned the Bard was Antony and Cleopatra and I happen to have read that again over the weekend in the throes of my essay. It's quite literally and magnificently all over the place (A&C, not my essay hopefully). Which goes to prove that if the words are good enough you can ignore all the rules. So what's my excuse then? Haven't got a truly convincing one other than that my thematic dismemberment of the book's chronology feels right for the stage and brings something new to the text. And neither of those contentions is one that I can really be qualified to judge myself. Anyway, too late to be having second thoughts now.

Resumed work on VB today, knocking together the components I will submit for assessment. These will be: an Introductory Note justifying my choices; the Notes for Producers including the casting notes and some illustrations for scenery/props; the entire Stage Outline showing how I have rationalised the plot; entire script of these scenes - prologue (Adam 'sells' Nina to Ginger); 1.1-1.3 (the Schwertz party and on to Downing Street); epilogue (Happy Ending).

I may pluck up the courage to post the Notes to Producers once finally knocked into shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment